February 25, 2013

what's missing?.....


hi everyone.  if you've been here sometime in the last few days, you'll know that we've been "nursing" our son back to health. he has a follow up appointment this morning and technically {following hospital discharge orders} will be be allowed to drive and go back to his place at 4:00 this afternoon.

i will be ecstatic to have my family room look like a family room again. right now it resembles something like a giant camping slumber party gone awry, with pillows and blankets suffocating the room, but to be honest,  i will miss having him around. his laughter and the sparkle that oozes from him, even when he's not at his best, is such a gift. i have loved being his nurse...well, most of the time.


today was to be another scheduled photography tip day and not wanting to disappoint, i have given you some photos and ideas to contemplate. in the above morning dove photos, what's different? what's missing? yep, it's the handle to the bird feeder. i LOVE the cloning feature in picmonkey and use it almost always over the cloning tool in lightroom....yes, it's that good. 

so now it's playtime. do you have a few photos that unfortunately contain something distracting? well let's CLONE it out of the photo. so go ahead, play with the clone option in picmonkey and let me know what happens. i'd love it if you shared with me your before and after photos and if you have any questions, please ask me.




the photos above are all cropped in a different way. i highly recommend you do this to your landscape photos especially, until you find one that really speaks to you over the other photos. if you are a lightroom user, this is so easily done using "create a virtual copy." if you don't know what this is and you are a lightroom user, ask me for help or google it. 
*
this is just a "fill in" photography tip day and i'll be back next monday with the last of the questions you sent my way. if you have any new questions, i still have room for a few more.
*
and last, but not least...THANK YOU for all of the well wishes, thoughts and prayers you sent in regards to our son and his recovery. this blogging world of mine, filled with all of you, is such a special place.


13 comments:

  1. Glad to hear Jack is on the mend! Okay- big confession- love, love PicMonkey- but I totally do not get the cloning tool! I have tried a couple of times and just don't get it... maybe a tutorial on how to use some of those tools? Just a thought :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love picmonkey too but have not yet used the cloning tool, though I did in its predecessor (can't even remember the name of that program now!)
    I hear you about having your boy home for a while and being able to pamper him, I found a really good tearjerker of a poem that I pasted on facebook about when your kids move out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad your son is much improved. That's great news!

    I use the cloning tool in LR and also in PS quite frequently. If there is anything in the scene that I find even remotely distracting, out it goes! The great thing about LR is your original is always there no matter what you do to the photo. I love that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know you're going to miss that guy when he goes back to his own place. He's going to miss you too!

    Cloning....thanks for explaining what that is and what it does. I've seen it and never used it and now I can't wait to try it!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like #1 of the beachscapes. Beautiful dove. xo Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad to hear he's well enough to go home. But I know that empty space when you're used to them being there and then they're gone again. Sigh. I haven't tried the cloning tool on Picmonkey - is it part of the free version or the upgrade? I wanted a modesty daisy for Belle, but discovered they've made those part of the upgrade, dang it. I haven't used it enough to upgrade...yet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't wait to go and see what cloning is all about :-)

    I am glad to see your son is getting all better yet I have the feeling you will be missing each other a lot xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. First of all, glad things are all on the mend. A scare, a relief, and now a blessing. And I'm going to try to carve out some time today to sneak in some cloning. This could come in useful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beth, I'm not on blog much these days so I just read about your son. So glad to hear he's on the mend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Like everyone, so glad the patient is better, great news.
    Now I have to go clone something.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good to hear your son is on the mend.
    There was something I learned in PS Element that takes the feeder line out, now I will need to go back and refresh my memory. Cropping can so much make a difference at times. I usually do that in Picasa. Thanks for all you share.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So glad to hear all is well with your boy.... Sometimes, they still need their momma! It must have been a bit scary for you as well, whew!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good news about better health!! and thanks as always for sharing your tips!

    ReplyDelete

**I love reading the comments you leave, as they make me feel like we're sitting in my kitchen, having a cup of tea, discussing life and wondering where all the time has gone ...beth