May 3, 2012

don't be afraid of her...


i stopped at the skateboard park yesterday
~
i've done this before when my usual inspiration puts on her fastest tennis shoes and runs from me or when after i've counted to twenty four, she hides and doesn't come out for days or when she puts her hands on her hips and raises her eyebrows and says, "you expect too much from me." 




so yesterday i gave my usual inspiration a break. i wasn't in the mood to deal with her selfishness and reminded her that there was other inspiration out there. she walked away in a huff, like a spoiled teenager and slammed the door behind her.



i know she'll return.
she never stays away too long as her curiosity always brings her out of hiding. she says she's strong and doesn't have an inferiority complex. but i think she does. just a little.




so i know tomorrow she'll start running around the house again, taunting me with her neediness, reminding me that i can't live without her.


but until then, i'm going to soak up another warm day and appreciate what i found yesterday when my little miss attitude didn't want to come out and play with me.
*
there was a time that i would have been hesitant to stop and talk with a couple of skateboarders, but that seems so long ago. i have found that strangers are usually the friendliest people you'll ever meet. and when strangers are doing what they love to do and you want to photograph them doing what they love to do...well that's what i call a win-win situation. 
~
so i guess what i'm saying is, don't be afraid to get out of your comfort zone every now and then and away from your usual tried and true inspiration. it's good to take a break from each other and almost always, you'll feel better and do better when you team up with each other again.
*
and 
of course, a big thanks to the guys who kept me entertained yesterday

20 comments:

  1. So brave of you, Beth...talking to strangers the results are stunning
    :-)
    I am still happier taking photographs of nature...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I photographed skateboarders once in Ft. Worth a few years ago. Didn't ask permission so as not to disturb them. Once they noticed me, they did start doing more daredevil-ish stunts which made for a great photo day for me! These are wonderful action shots!

    ReplyDelete
  3. great shots! i so admire your ability to photograph people, especially strangers.

    you made me laugh about little miss inspiration... one thing i learned doing my 30 poems in 30 days is that you don't always have to wait for the moody muse to come by, sometimes you can just work around her. it's surprising what happens when you do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this kind of work, it's the best fun, really!...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the reminder to be brave. My brain says go but my gut quivers and runs away. Such a chicken! I know I've missed some good opportunities. I will try today to approach one stranger doing something they love. Wish me luck.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So true...everyone wants to be appreciated for the gifts they share.

    ReplyDelete
  7. AnonymousMay 03, 2012

    I love that they welcomed you. How fun! For them and for you. :-)) Nice shots!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, you crack me up. Love these shots!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Did you get their names? I bet they would Love one of these photos.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am much too self-conscious to take pictures at a place like this and I admire anyone who does! These are wonderful action shots and I love the processing.

    Speaking of inspiration, I have to come up with a final project idea for my photography class...the more I think the blanker my mind gets:( Any suggestions are welcome!..and it can't involve taking pictures of strangers:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are fantastic, Beth. Tell that little inspiration brat to kiss off ~~

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great action shots! I'm sure those guys were eating up the attention.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Muy buenas imágenes..un beso desde Murcia...seguimos..

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love reading the comments on posts like this .. I am constantly amazed at how many photographers are afraid to 'shoot' strangers .. trust me they are only strangers til you smile and say 'may I?' .. 99.99% of the time they say sure and they're no longer strangers.

    That young man clearly enjoyed being your inspiration ...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love, love, LOVE his shoes! And your big heart.

    ReplyDelete
  16. AnonymousMay 04, 2012

    I need to go out and try this this summer. I'm naturally shy, so I think I may start out in Stealth Mode, but hopefully by fall I'll be a Big Girl and be talking to strangers as I shoot them.

    Wait... that didn't come out right. Happy Friday, Beth! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. AnonymousMay 04, 2012

    great action shots even without ms. attitude there to tell you what to do! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. The last shot is priceless. It's a good thing I always read the fine print. That's where the most valuable information is. Thanks for reminding us to step out of our comfort zone.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I could never gather up the nerve to take the pics you do of true character....great angle on the shoe photos!

    ReplyDelete
  20. i still remember you stopping to ask if you could photograph those cool beatnik coffee house dwellers in chicago. that was awesome... especially because i got to ride the coat tails of your braveness and take some pics of the james dean look-alike, without even having to ask! =)

    great shots!

    ReplyDelete

**I love reading the comments you leave, as they make me feel like we're sitting in my kitchen, having a cup of tea, discussing life and wondering where all the time has gone ...beth