February 15, 2009

part two...... or I love the blue, the blurry and the controversy








so let's talk some more about photo editing
because
at one time I really hated it
and
thought that edited pictures weren't real
or at least they couldn't be compared
to virgin photos
no matter what
and
I still feel that way
a little
~~~~~
the first photography magazine I ever bought showcased a photo contest
and
I was appalled to see that the winning photos
had
all been photoshopped
and
here I was
a very beginning photographer
not even having a clue to what editing was all about
~
actually I wasn't even that
I was just a girl with a camera
who wanted to take pictures
and
had no idea what I was doing
and
was already becoming discouraged
and
feeling like I had failed
~
why
?
well I think it was because
all I knew to do was to hold my camera
put it on auto
take some pictures
and
then
upload them to my computer
get rid of the pictures I hated
file the ones I liked
and
then post my favorites on my blog
~~~~~
but
then I started reading
everything
even
the manual to my camera
{go figure}
and
everything else I could get my hands on
and
I learned a few things
like white balance and ISO
{who knew}
and
I felt more in charge
and
I was having fun
~
and
then it happened
I learned to edit
too
and
all of a sudden the painting I did in my studio on paper and canvas
was being done
on my computer
on photos
and
I was having fun
oh
I was having so much fun
and
my creative spirit was alive again
~~~~~
so here's the scoop
I still don't think in a contest
virgin and altered photos should be in the same category
ever
and
if you don't like the photos you take
or actually
the story here is that
you love the photos you take and want to make them better
and
you're a creative person with some extra time on your hands
{it does take time}
read
learn
edit
play
love your camera
love your computer
and
hopefully you'll discover
a whole new world of fun out there that you never knew about
and
then the next time we meet
it will be in the support group
for
photo editing addicts
but we'll wink as we walk past each other
on the way to the cookie and coffee table
with a big smile on our faces
knowing
that this is exactly where we belong
~
oh and by the way
yesterday was part one
even though I didn't know that until I wrote this post
and
I think there will be a part three
actually
I know there will be
stay tuned

8 comments:

  1. Very interesting post! Isn't it amazing how our hobbies/crafts/creative outlets are always changing, growing, and becoming! What a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I SO identify! I just relish downloading the photo files and then enhancing things ever so slightly, maybe tweaking the exposure a bit, until it's just so. How can that be an addiction? Just because I download and edit the minute I get in the house, how can that be an addiction? Is there a difference between a passion and an addiction?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am definitely at the beginning phase of point and shoot on auto. If I get a great photo it is usually by accident and I have no idea how to repeat the procedure, but I am enjoying the journey. Thanks for showing me where it may eventually lead.

    ReplyDelete
  4. beth I struggle to figure ps out..do not have the time I would like to spend but i do a little...I think your photos look like artwork and are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Photo editing is just one more creative digital hobby I hope to take up. Another is video editing. I want to turn all our silly home movies into real DVDs that are mini works of art. I really, really want to learn photo editing. Right now I am at the point and shoot stage. And, haven't read anything to teach myself. Yet. What I have done, though, is watched you grow and develop. It's been fun. And inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful post! I feel the same way...actually I think I've swung back and forth regarding editing photos...at first no editing...than too much...now back a little bit...I think I'll stay here awhile and work on my picture taking skills!
    p.s. I just did a post on editing, LOL! We're twins!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you have to look at it as "real" (the hard, original photograph, however beautiful it may be) and "art" (the manipulated photograph that expresses the reality but in a way that touches your soul or heart or whimsy at that moment. I don't believe either one is the be-all, end-all, but that they are a useful partnership that periodically share an uneasy alliance (such as in journalism, where to me, manipulation can get a little dicey.) I look at these and don't see them as less real, for they are your real impression. And I DO see them as art, for you have exceeded the limits of the reality and put your own spin on them, your artistic vision. And I think they are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  8. when I first started I was so upset that I never could get my shots SOOC to look like some I had seen until it was finally explained to me about photo editing and what wonders could be accomplished. it's amazing - but I agree, it's hardly fair to ask the SOOC to be in the same category. But to some extent, it's hard for me to judge the "P" or auto shooters to be in the same category as the ones that shoot on AV, TV or manual.

    ReplyDelete

**I love reading the comments you leave, as they make me feel like we're sitting in my kitchen, having a cup of tea, discussing life and wondering where all the time has gone ...beth