June 24, 2008

what you don't see.... or.... maybe you do

sometimes I'm really protective of my heart
but most often
I wear it on my sleeve
where it can be....
tugged at
filled
hurt
held
questioned
stomped on
loved
stroked
mended
opened
quieted
restless
wobbly
exhausted
excited
free
soulful
thoughtful
and
guarded
maybe keeping my heart out there for all the world to see
isn't really even seen
the way I think it is
maybe it causes me to have expectaions
that aren't realistic
maybe it makes me too vulnerable
maybe it makes me too sensitive
maybe wearing my heart on my sleeve
prevents me from growing into my dreams
or maybe
just maybe
it's everything
that makes me
me

5 comments:

  1. I understand you completely as I wear my heart on my sleeve as well. I am vulnerable and sometimes see myself as weak when I get emotional. Wishing I was a bit stronger or as I said before wishing I could find a thicker skin to wear sometimes in difficult situations. But sometimes wearing my heart on my sleeve can be a good thing, because I feel that I can love deeply, I am more giving and understanding. So in a way it's bitter sweet.....

    Im with ya girl.

    Angelica

    ReplyDelete
  2. You take words that are so you and so yours, and yet somehow you say all the things that are me, too. I get emotional, cry a lot, and when things are good -- or bad -- people know it. But like "Just me -- Angelica -- I know it IS because I love and feel deeply and that makes me better for others. What kindred spirits I'm finding here today...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I needed this post so much today. As I read it, I was grinning ruefully and saying, "Oh, that's me. Yup, me too." Then I got to the end. I read this:

    or maybe just maybe it's everything that makes me me

    Thanks. I needed that.

    And, I think - the world needs hearts like ours. Even if they often miss seeing them. Let's just promise keep our hearts pinned firmly, unashamedly to our sleeves.

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a great post, i wear my emotions on my sleeve too, it seems these days my sleeve is always wet, lol, i can get teary-eyed at the drop of a hat!!
    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  5. at first I wondered how I missed this and then I realized I didn't know you then. So funny how I come to love "you" in such a short time. Beautiful

    ReplyDelete

**I love reading the comments you leave, as they make me feel like we're sitting in my kitchen, having a cup of tea, discussing life and wondering where all the time has gone ...beth